The new flood elevations and enlarged flood zone — issues that have been discussed since Hurricane Katrina — will take effect In May 2009.
The new maps are the product of research from FEMA, MEMA and the Mississippi Department of Environmental Quality.
Here are some links that may help you understand what these maps mean to you:
- To see the pre-Katrina flood maps and how they compare to new flood zones, click here.
- To see a detailed map of the flood zone — on a document known as a Digital Flood Insurance Rate Map — click here. (File size is 3 MB.)
- To go directly to links for maps for Harrison County, which includes Biloxi, click here. (These are large files; high-speed internet connection suggested.)
- To hear an interview with a federal authority on factors that help determine elevations and flood zones, clck here.
- To see a flow chart that shows the process of updating the maps as well as questions to frequently asked quesitons, click here